Fair Housing Counseling & Investigation
Fair Housing Advocates of Northern California provides free comprehensive fair housing counseling, complaint investigation, and assistance in filing housing discrimination complaints with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).
If you believe you may have experienced housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, gender, disability, familial status, sexual orientation, marital status, source of income, or any other arbitrary characteristic such as age or occupation, click the button below to request assistance, or call Fair Housing Advocates at (415) 457-5025, extension 101, to speak to our intake counselor.
Schedule Fair Housing Workshops
Fair Housing Advocates offers workshops to educate renters on their rights and responsibilities under fair housing law. The workshops cover topics such as: basics of fair housing law, how to detect discriminatory practices, protections for immigrants, people with disabilities and families with children, occupancy standards and differences between fair housing and landlord-tenant laws. Contact our education department to schedule a presentation for your group in English or Spanish.
Fair Housing Videos and Legal Protection Literature
Protections Based on Sex/Gender
Protections for People with Disabilities
Protections Based on Race, Color and National Origin
Protections for Families with Children
- Protect Your Family Against Housing Discrimination (English)
- Proteja a Su Familia Contra la Discriminación en la Vivienda (Spanish)
- Bảo Vệ Gia Đình Quý Vị Chống Phân Biệt Về Nhà Ở (Vietnamese)
- Source of Income Discrimination (English)
- Discriminación por Fuente de Ingresos (Spanish)
- Dikriminasyon sa Pinagmumulan ng Kita (Tagalog)
Protections for People with Criminal Records
- Use of Criminal Records in Rental Decisions (Engliah)
- Uso de Antecedentes Penales en Decisiones de Alquiler (Spanish)
Fair Lending Protections